-In River Cess County Comes 2029

By: Sampat JMB Kpakimah
Former Public Works Minister Ruth Coker Collins has announced her intention to run for the River Cess County Senate seat in the 2029 general elections. She shared her plans during a recent meeting with women’s groups in the county.
Speaking to residents, Collins said her decision reflects a commitment to transition her service from the executive branch to the Legislature. She stressed the need for stronger representation, better infrastructure, and policies focused on accelerating development in River Cess.
Collins, an engineer by profession, led the Ministry of Public Works under the Coalition for Democratic Change government. She told citizens that her experience overseeing national road connectivity projects equips her to effectively advocate for rural communities at the national level.
She called for unity among residents and encouraged young people and women to take active roles in shaping the county’s political future. The former Public Works Minister is the wife of Honorable LutherCollins, the current Representative of District #2,Gbarpolu County. He was elected during the October 10, 2023, general elections.
Frowning on Gov’t Demolition Strategy:
Meanwhile, former Public Works Minister Ruth Coker-Collins has also frowned on the Boakai-Koung administration’s demolition strategy, as she argues that a government demolition should be buttressed by compensation for the affected individuals.
Minister Ruth Coker-Collins made the comments during her appearance on the OK Conversation program, on OK FM, on Monday, February 17, 2026. “Before any demolition, there should be compensation. If government intends to demolish, it has the authority to go to the Legislature and request funding to compensate the people,” she said.
The former minister argued that the demolition strategy currently being implemented would not have occurred during her time in office under those conditions. According to her, their administration adopted a more “cautious approach”. With this, she branded former President Weah as “a man of the people” who insisted that demolitions should not proceed without compensation for affected citizens.
Also during her radio appearance, ex minister Collins disclosed that during her tenureas minister, the Ministry of Public Works acquired 40 pieces of earth-moving equipment. Of that number, 11 were picked up, while 27 remain in the country and are currently being used by the present administration, including for demolition exercises. She added that the equipment includes both hand loaders and wheel loaders.
Coker-Collins further revealed that most of the road projects initiated and signed during her time were delayed due to the impact of COVID-19 pandemic, which disrupted supply chains, funding flows, and contractor timelines not due to mismanagement.
She named the RIA Road as her signature project under the Weah administration a project she claims is now being credited to the administration of President Joseph Boakai. Coker-Collins also explained that public works projects are executed in phases. Contractors are paid based on completed portions of work after monitoring and verification by project sponsors, followed by oversight and payment processing by the Ministry of Finance.
However, she attributes this and other lapses to what she considers a misplaced appointment.
In her opinion, Minister Giddings is not technically inclined as an engineer, suggesting that engineering expertise is crucial for the effective management of the Ministry. Responding to concerns about road projects in her home area, Collins denied any misuse of funds. She cited the Cesto Road project, explaining that while substantial work had been completed, contractor payment delays hindered final sealing works.
She further alleged that in the 2025 national budget, approximately $397,000 was allocated for the same road project but was not fully executed.
She noted that the current budget reportedly includes $750,000 for that road, suggesting that funds allocated in previous cycles were not effectively utilized.
Ex-minister Collins called on lawmakers to intensify oversight of infrastructure projects and ensure proper tracking and implementation of budgeted funds.
“Legislators must wake and be proactive in verifying projects and monitoring the money they approve.” she urged.
As a result, she disclosed that engineers across Liberia are considering petitioning President Boakai to ensure that the Ministry of Public Works is headed by a professional engineer rather than an administrator.
“Government is about continuity. One man cannot do everything,” she said, cautioning that the current minister “must watch his stance” and avoid making allegations without facts.
Additionally, she refuted allegations by Minister Roland Layette Giddings that she left the Ministry of Public Works in “mess,” describing the claims as false, misleading, and politically motivated. “If the minister met the ministry in mess as he claimed, how can he continue operating in the same mess?” she questioned.
According to the former minister, her office was never left leaking or damaged, and all government vehicles assigned to her including those procured through the World Bank were properly serviced, fueled, and properly turned over to the current administration.
On allegations that she awarded contracts to relatives, Coker-Collins dismissed claims linking her to contractor Sebastian Collins. She said she does not know him personally and clarified that the similarity in last names between the contractor and her husband is purely coincidental.
According to her, the contract in question was handled by the World Bank and signed by the Justice Ministry, not by her personally. Though admitting that challenges existed during her tenure, Coker-Collins maintained that the Ministry was handed over in a more stable condition than she met it and that infrastructure development is a phased process that requires continuity and technical oversight.
It is a shared idea, one man cannot do all, that’s why the government is continuity. A lot of challenges are still there but the ministry was not left in a mess. That is simply not true.” She concluded by describing the current allegations as disappointing and unfounded. The different allegations were made by Minister, Roland Layette Giddings during his appearance on the same station last week Monday.

